Estimated economic cost of a single oil spill in BC:
What can you and I do? Its simple - do not act upon this planet like a virus (Matrix reference?)! The "First World" countries play the role of consumers, and the economic principle of supply and demand will ensure that our desires, both yours and mine, are fulfilled by the free market. If we focus on filling ourselves with happiness, true happiness - and not the pleasure and short-sighted fulfillment of monetary gain and the pleasures we can buy, we may very well save this planet from destruction.
You can't buy this.
(1) Natural Resources Defense Council: http://www.nrdc.org/land/forests/boreal/intro.asp
(2) Bill 4: http://www.leg.bc.ca/40th2nd/1st_read/gov04-1.htm
(3) Northern Gateway by the Numbers: http://www.canada.com/news/metro/Photos+Northern+Gateway+pipeline+numbers/9307290/story.html
(4) 45 Fossil Fuel Disasters of 2013: http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2013/12/17/3056321/year-fossil-fuel-disasters/
(5) Tar Sands: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/01/opinion/the-tar-sands-disaster.html?_r=0
(6) Economic Impact of BP Oil Spill in the Gulf of Mexico http://www.unc.edu/~asalley/GEOG284/effects.html
Photographs by Jonathan Dy www.jonathandy.com